Central Coast Craft Brewers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

100L american oak barrel aged split batches

4 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

100L american oak barrel aged split batches - Page 2 Empty Re: 100L american oak barrel aged split batches

Post  Gingerpete Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:43 am

Yeah, I don't think a light saison would go with the added tannins from the oak and red wine.

Doing homemade caramel isn't the same as belgian candi sugar, but is similar. Cheaper and much easier to source though! Inverting happens when you boil it, adding a small bit of acid (Citric, phosphoric or lactic) and yeast nutrient will speed this up too. But with us doing 3 different batches, it should give us a wide range of flavours overall.

Here's a link to the beersmith file I've done up - Let me know if you can't view it. The rosemary addition I wasn't sure of weight - apparently its quite strong. One sprig is enough.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw2PIKOwEeF-QkRPQkFoTXJNc2c/edit?usp=sharing

I'll email Duane, see what he says about the yeast.
I was pretty keen to do a big brewday, but can't make it next weekend, but could do the one after.
Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

100L american oak barrel aged split batches - Page 2 Empty Re: 100L american oak barrel aged split batches

Post  emnpaul Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:49 am

I'm off work 25th, 26th, 27th and 28th (ANZAC extra long weekend) if that helps brew day wise. Though I do get the impression you guys are keen to get it happening before then.
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Gingerpete Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:07 am

I could do Anzac day, but have to work the Friday and am away for the weekend. I'm in no huge rush - As long as I am finished fermenting by the 24th of May (going O/S) and can deliver it to the barrel by then, I'm happy.
Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperiallambic Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:23 pm

Hey guys so i can't see your recipe Pete although i do trust it as much as any other recipe i was going to look up having never brewed a dark saison. Screen shot it for me and post again please.
As for yeast and the carawheat? I am up at tafe mon-wed which is less then 1km from MHB so can pick up what we need that we cant get from Duane. Just let me know how much.

I haven't ordered the sack of pilsner yet as my understanding was he would be going to post on here before he did it. I will call him tomorrow and see how soon we will be able to get it.

As for brewing i am away from the 11th through till 24th was hoping to brew before i went but wont be happening so happy to brew when i am back. I am sure Duane would be fine with us brewing there although he does seem to have time off over holiday periods which is understandable.
Either way of brewing im happy with would be a fun day but if fitting in with everyone is a hassle its not worth it.

Imperiallambic

Back to top Go down

Post  Gingerpete Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:43 am

Does that mean we could all do ANZAC day then? Thats if no one is too keen on two-up and if Duane is open.
The Carawheat is 210g per 25 L batch at 80% efficiency. Probably grab 1kg to be on the safe side.
For a screenshot -
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw2PIKOwEeF-ZTNZZnQ5YjBuRFk/edit?usp=sharing

Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  emnpaul Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:55 am

I don't hit it on ANZAC day as a rule. Just the dawn service then an early surf, so count me in for ANZAC brew day if Duane will give us access. Otherwise yeah, maybe separate batches.

You guys are doing a fair bit of organising and running around on this, so I'm happy to do my part by making caramel and or candy sugar if you can let me know what you're after. I don't mind making an almighty yeast starter either. I have a 10L jerry that will do the job nicely. I work up in Newcastle so if you'd like me to hook into Mark's for anything let me know.

emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperiallambic Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Ok bit of bad news i found out today instead of flying home on the 23rd i am flying straight from QLD to Adelaide for another 4-5days so group brew day isn't going to work for me over that break or In the month of April actually!
Happy to brew individually still or for you guys to brew the batch together and just cube mine for me as i cant see me brewing till may now. Sad Although i would prefer to be part of the brew process and not just the barrel holder.

Recipe looks great Pete although if im brewing double batch im likely to be around 60%-65% eff. Single batch could get 70%-75%.
We arent all rocking a breweasy system Wink

We should still get everything ordered and ready for when time permits the brewing.

Imperiallambic

Back to top Go down

Post  Gingerpete Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:18 am

I figured everyone would have different effeciencies, so I suppose its more the percentages that matter.
Knowing Duane, we probably won't have our sack until after you leave Marc. If you can't do Anzac day, I can't make any other weekends till June! I'd be happy for you guys to do a big batch and I can pick up a cube, but that might be too late for me to get it all fermented out before I leave.
I'll probably just brew my own batch on Anzac day, ferment it and keg it (uncarbonated) until we are ready to chuck it into the barrel.
Paul, if you want to do the yeast, I can do the caramel. I feel like I haven't done much either! Or I can supply you a sterile vial to decant a small bit of yeast into and I can grow it myself.

Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  emnpaul Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:05 pm

A massive starter with a step or three I think is just as easy as a small one and probably easier than each of us doing separate starters. I can then decant off some splits for you guys. My weekends are all reasonably flexible with the exception of AM Saturdays when I have kid's sport.
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperiallambic Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Happy to let you guys do both of those things as i will not have any chance.
Just remember i need double ingredients for a double if we are only doing 25L batches.

I will order the grain sack from Duane in the next day or so and if Paul can pick up the carawheat and yeast from MHB we will be on top of it.

If you both brew Anzac weekend i brew the day after i get back which is hopefully around the 28th they should finish around the same time still.

Imperiallambic

Back to top Go down

Post  emnpaul Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:46 pm

I'll get into MHB for the yeast and carawheat sometime next week. Anything else I can do, let me know.
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  emnpaul Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:51 am

O.k. Mark didn't have the French Saison listed on his website, which is not to say he didn't have a pack floating around in the back of his fridge, but since it wasn't listed on his site I ordered it from Duane. He'll have it end of next week. With a step I'd imagine I'll have it built up and split the day after ANZAC.

Just to be sure, we're settled on the recipe, yeah? In that case I'll get into MHB early next week for the Carawheat.
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperiallambic Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:56 am

Yeah I am happy with the recipe.

Still haven't heard from Duane about bulk but dates but he knows we want it so when it happens we will not miss out.

Imperiallambic

Back to top Go down

Post  emnpaul Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:56 am

I have in my possession 1kg bag of cracked Carawheat. It's yummy. pig

I'll drop the remaining 100g off at Duane's when I pick up the smack pack. tongue

FWIW there is now a dry saison yeast on the market. It's made by Lallemand. Don't know what it's like. Mark at MHB is yet to try it.
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperiallambic Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:43 pm

I did look into the dry yeast although reviews are quite mixed atm.

So what is the plan for splitting the grains, sugar and yeast?

I may be back by Anzac day now but no promises yet.

Also barrel is ready for pickup in Nthern Beaches of Sydney so when i am back i will make a trip down there and grab it.

Imperiallambic

Back to top Go down

Post  Gingerpete Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:37 pm

It will probably be easiest to pick it all up from Duanes. I'll be in on Saturday morning and try to buy most of the grain we need and divvie it up into bags to collect when needed. I doubt the Pilsner malt will be in by then though.

To work out how much everyone needs - What sort of efficiency do you guys expect on your systems?
I'll also drop in the sugar syrup in too for you guys to collect. Not sure how I am going to package it yet, but I'll figure that out.

Yeast may need to be picked up from your place Paul. I don't suppose you'll be any way south around that time?
Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperiallambic Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:00 am

If i am doing a double batch i will be lucky to get 70% eff.

I would say it may be easiest to Package the sugar in pet bottles.

Imperiallambic

Back to top Go down

Post  emnpaul Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:06 am

Gingerpete wrote:
To work out how much everyone needs - What sort of efficiency do you guys expect on your systems?
I'll also drop in the sugar syrup in too for you guys to collect. Not sure how I am going to package it yet, but I'll figure that out.

Yeast may need to be picked up from your place Paul. I don't suppose you'll be any way south around that time?

New system so not sure about efficiency yet but I'll work off 70% untill I know for sure. I haven't got around to putting the recipe into brew mate yet so not sure on exact quantities but I'll get back to you shortly. On that note how much are we brewing each? 38 litres aiming for 3 X 33.3L post ferment for total of 99.9L into the barrel? I can knock out 38 in my keggle so no worries there but dual fermenters is looking likely. Or would you like me to go for 2 X 30 litre batches for 50 litres (have keggle and not afraid to use it) post ferment and you guys go a batch each? Or is brew at Duane's back on the table, assuming your home Mark?

Yeast I can run down to Duane's chilled, in a couple of sanitised containers or maybe drop off if I'm down your neck of the woods Pete. I may be down at my brother in laws that weekend at Niagra park but not fully sure yet.
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperiallambic Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:08 am

I am happy to split 3 ways but I am pretty sure Pete's braumeister can only brew 25L.
So maybe Paul and I can split 75L with our keggles.

Just spoke to Duane and he said he is closed Anzac day but any other day would work.

Imperiallambic

Back to top Go down

Post  emnpaul Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:31 am

I'm good for the day after ANZAC day and the Saturday afternoon too, if that works.

Yeast is in my possession, smacked and awaiting starter wort. Carawheat is at Duane's. I dropped off the whole kilo so we can divide as needed once it's all worked out. Bulk buy is happening next week.
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Gingerpete Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:27 am

I went into Duanes today and bought all the specialty grains for you boys. They're all there waiting, but you will have to work out how much you need based on your efficiency and batch sizes.
I worked out a 67% efficiency for 75L. Should be enough. I grabbed my Carawheat too.

If you're down my way around Anzac day Paul, let me know and I will pick up the yeast from you. Otherwise leave it at Duanes.

I still haven't done the sugar yet, but Ill hopefully get to it this weekend.
Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  emnpaul Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:42 pm

I'll be down at Niagra Park on Thursday, ANZAC day, with yeast . I'll PM you address and time.

I think I'll be brewing on Saturday. No worries if you haven't done the sugar. I can add it during or at the end of fermentation.
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperiallambic Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:03 am

Will the dingemans pilsner sack I ordered be here by sat though?

Imperiallambic

Back to top Go down

Post  emnpaul Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:37 pm

Imperiallambic wrote:Will the dingemans pilsner sack I ordered be here by sat though?

Exactly what I was thinking. Only I was hoping Duane or one of you guys could sell me some.
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperiallambic Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:06 pm

Well I am pretty sure he has some maybe he might lend you some and I will replace it when the sack arrives.

Imperiallambic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next