Central Coast Craft Brewers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

100L american oak barrel aged split batches

4 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

100L american oak barrel aged split batches - Page 3 Empty Re: 100L american oak barrel aged split batches

Post  emnpaul Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:11 am

I'll buy some off Duane if he's getting some. Just that last time I asked he didn't and I hadn't thought that far ahead.
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

100L american oak barrel aged split batches - Page 3 Empty Re: 100L american oak barrel aged split batches

Post  Gingerpete Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:31 am

Do we know when the bulk buy will arrive?
Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperiallambic Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:48 am

Gingerpete wrote:Do we know when the bulk buy will arrive?

Just dropped in then and he is thinking early next week.
If this is the case I will be brewing next wkend.

I am driving to Sydney tomorrow to pick up the barrel.

Imperiallambic

Back to top Go down

Post  Punter Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:46 am

Just got some bad news.
Dingmans Pilsner is once again out of stock with Creyer Malt.
They said a good 4-5 weeks away!

Sorry about that.
Punter
Punter
Admin

http://www.ambernectar.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Gingerpete Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:29 am

Not your fault Duane. Thanks for letting us know.

German Pilsner malt then? Or BoPils?
Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperiallambic Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:26 pm

Ordered a sack of Weyerman-Pilsner instead.

Here is the pic of the cute little barrel.

100L american oak barrel aged split batches - Page 3 Img_1110

The red wine smell is really intense!!!
Thinking i may rinse and soak for a day or so before we soak a beer in there. Thoughts?

Imperiallambic

Back to top Go down

Post  emnpaul Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:13 pm

Imperiallambic wrote:
The red wine smell is really intense!!!
Thinking i may rinse and soak for a day or so before we soak a beer in there. Thoughts?

Soak in a mild napi san solution for a couple of days. About 1/4 normal strength might lift some of the tannin and colour.

I dropped of two bottles of yeast at Duane's for you. He'll point you in the direction. Such a beautiful yeast too. I had to restrain myself from drinking all the starter beer. Stopped at 1 schooner.
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Gingerpete Thu May 02, 2013 3:28 am

Has the Pilsner malt sack turned up yet? I'm away on the weekend, but I may send in my Dad to get my share on Saturday arvo if its there.
Also I still haven't picked up the yeast from your brother yet Paul. I'll do it tonight, straight after work, I think. Fuck, I have to be somewhere at 530. Would they be ok if I turned up at maybe 630?

Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  emnpaul Thu May 02, 2013 2:00 pm

Gingerpete wrote: Would they be ok if I turned up at maybe 630?

Sorry, just saw this. If you are yet to pick up the yeast any time before 7:30pm will be fine.
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperiallambic Sat May 04, 2013 11:59 pm

Alright guys so grain has arrived!

I have paid for and left 11kg of pilsner there and took the other grains and yeast i needed.

Hoping you guys have took yours already because i needed most of what was put aside i will have about 100gms of a few malts extra.

I will be brewing twice due to not having enough room in my kettle for a full 50L.
So will be 2 batches @27.5L which should hopefully leave me with around 50L in the transfer.

Just waiting on 1kg of candied sugar which i am happy with adding into the fermenters if need be and where do i get the sweet orange peel? Is it just skin from a regular orange?

Imperiallambic

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperiallambic Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 am

Just cracking my grain now for the big brew day.

So not sure what happened but i have alot of extra speciality grains. Maybe i doubled what i needed for a batch twice.
But yeh anyway i have

445g munich
300g cara II
375g cara wheat

Only grain i had no extra of was spec B?

I will drop them back to Duanes this afternoon.

Sorry if i have confused you both.

When do you think i will be able to get the sugar Pete?

Imperiallambic

Back to top Go down

Post  Gingerpete Tue May 07, 2013 6:07 am

Hmm. When i was last at Duanes, I worked out 100L at 60% eff, measured out the quantities and took my own supply from that. I only needed enough for my 80% eff, so I figured there would be enough for everyone with some extra. I can't remember the exact quantities. I guess if Paul has already taken his, it was the leftovers.

I'm doing the sugar on Thursday and will deliver to Duane on Saturday morning, or I can drop Marc's off at your place if you want. And I could drop it off at your brothers Paul if its easier for you.
I still haven't picked up the yeast from your brother yet Paul. Im a lazy bastard and keep forgetting. I'm brewing this weekend so I will make myself do it very soon.

The orange peel is just whatever normal oranges you can get your hands on. Navel, valencia etc.

Let us know how it all goes when you're finished and what it tastes like.
Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  emnpaul Tue May 07, 2013 1:49 pm

I haven't taken any malts or spec grains yet, which might explain the excess quantities and I think there'll be some left over in any event. I'm brewing this weekend and will be in at Duane's Friday arvo for grain pick up. I'll take enough for a 28 litre batch which should be an easy 25L into barrel. If it tastes the bomb coming out of the fermentor I may even go again for a non-barrel aged comparison batch. May as well take advantage of the yeast cake right? Fairly big beer for single vessel BIAB so I might drop my efficiency calc. down to 65% to be safe.

Pete, if you're going to duane's Saturday would you mind leaving my candi sugar/syrup there as I don't know when I'll next be at Niagara Park. I'll grab it next week and chuck it in during during ferment, which I think is fairly common practice when making Belgians.

Having already tasted the starter beer it seems the yeast has a flavour profile somewhere between a Witt and a Weizen. That being the case I'm thinking a ferulic acid rest might be worthwhile to try to bring out some cloves. Cloves aren't every ones cup of tea though. Do you guys like cloves?
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Gingerpete Tue May 07, 2013 2:30 pm

No worries Paul, the sugar will be there from Saturday morning.

As for Ferulic Acid rest, I would think it could be a waste of time for two reasons.
First, I've read a few experiments where people do side by sides with a ferulic acid rest and there doesn't seem to be any difference http://braukaiser.com/blog/blog/2010/06/04/how-much-effect-does-a-ferulic-acid-rest-have/

Also, the ability to produce 4-vinylguaicol (the clove) is a gene only present in wheat beer strains. http://www.calferm.org/edu/bamforth/wheat_beers.html

But I'm not going to stop you - I like a good clove.

Also what temp are we going to ferment this thing at?
Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  emnpaul Tue May 07, 2013 9:51 pm

Gingerpete wrote:
Also, the ability to produce 4-vinylguaicol (the clove) is a gene only present in wheat beer strains. http://www.calferm.org/edu/bamforth/wheat_beers.html

Also what temp are we going to ferment this thing at?

1. I didn't know that. Won't bother wasting my time then.

2. I'm looking to start at 21-22 deg. then ramp to 25 beginning day 3. There are some who say a Saison doesn't need ramping just start high, so if anyone knows better I'd be happy to stand corrected.
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperiallambic Wed May 08, 2013 11:48 am

Brew day went good and hit my numbers minus the sugars.

Didn't have any oranges or rosemary on the day and will do a small boil and add to fermenter when i add the sugar on the weekend.

As for temps i think mine would be in the early 20's i am fermenting out of the fridge so at room temps.

Lovely tasting starter by the way Paul was it just LDME?

Imperiallambic

Back to top Go down

Post  emnpaul Wed May 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Imperiallambic wrote:
Lovely tasting starter by the way Paul was it just LDME?

500g LDME and 350g white sugar to 8.5 litres, shaken, not stirred, then fermented at 25 for 4 days then crash chilled, which I think is about as close to yeast abuse as I've ever gotten and still it tastes great.

Edit: And 1/8th tsp yeast nutrient.
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Gingerpete Wed May 15, 2013 8:22 am

How is everyone going? I pitched on Monday afternoon, had a huge krausen on Tuesday morning, but now its dying down. Ill pull a hydrometer reading on Friday - I am expecting a really high attenuation on this, with its simple sugar, low mash temp and high attenuating yeast and I hear this yeast is a lightning fast fermentor too.
Is anyone finished yet or getting close to FG? How does it taste? What Gravity did it finish at?

How did you go Marc, with your late spice and zest addition?

Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  emnpaul Wed May 15, 2013 11:28 am

Haven't pitched yet. Booked in for Sunday.
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Gingerpete Sat May 18, 2013 7:29 am

5 days since pitching at I've gone from 1.068 to 1.020. Tastes pretty damn good too!
Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperiallambic Mon May 20, 2013 1:11 pm

Mine has come in at 1.004 so definitely some hungry yeast!!
I did a 200ml 5min boil with 50gms packeted orange peel and 3gm dried rosemary.
Strained and added to 1 fermenter to test how it tastes and if its an improvement i will do the same for the other fermenter.

Let me know when both your beers are finished so i can organize a dropoff barrel filling day.

Imperiallambic

Back to top Go down

Post  Punter Tue May 21, 2013 12:08 pm

Imperiallambic wrote:
I did a 200ml 5min boil with 50gms packeted orange peel

LOL!
Could't be arsssed zesting that bag of orange mate?

Hope I get to try this beer when it's aged. Sounds like it will be a cracker!
Punter
Punter
Admin

http://www.ambernectar.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Gingerpete Wed May 22, 2013 8:43 am

Mines done and will be racking to a keg tonight. Can I drop it around to you tomorrow morning Marc?
Gingerpete
Gingerpete
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperiallambic Wed May 22, 2013 12:46 pm

Sounds good to me Pete i should be around the house tomorrow. Give me a text before you head over 04six8four7four9three9
Did you only end up with a cornys worth?

Imperiallambic

Back to top Go down

Post  emnpaul Wed May 22, 2013 1:02 pm

Mate I'm really sorry, I didn't get to brew this on the weekend. I've been copping some serious handbrake lately. I did make an APA on Saturday as a trial batch in the new keggle as I thought I should get at least one brew down before going for the prized Saison and sadly was pulled up on the Sunday with the usual shit.

I am definitely brewing this on Sunday.
emnpaul
emnpaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next